So in a few hours, I’ll be about twenty-fine, er, -five years old. I also wondered; how come we count birthdays from the time one’s crown touches outside air? Why not when we get our first heartbeat? I don’t know. I’m truthfully writing this to say that if you’re cool with me and wanted to do something nice in honor of my birthday1, I want you to do one of the following things:
Donate / Divest
I’d rather you sent money to organizations that do incredibly work versus sending me something that may or may not contribute to the crappy world we live in2. If you want to align a bit with ones I personally align with and/or donate to, check the list below!
- InTech Camp for Girls: This is run by a good friend, Khalia. I’m glad I caught her in the middle of this journey and the work she does with the youth is beyond important.
- Cat Brooks for Oakland: This woman has done so much for Oakland. I doubt she’d remember but during a protest, in my failed attempts to get people safely off a highway; she did so with ease and skill. I felt safe with her and I trust her to bring Oakland to a better era - especially with the state of affairs it’s in.
- TechActivist.Org: Another heavy-hitting group making moves not only in the Bay but throughout the world on a grassroots level.
- Human Utility Project: This one hits home for me. Water is a right. It’s required to live. Click the link and help me raise $1,000 to help those who need to keep their utilities on.
- GoodForPoc: Is this technically a self-plug ? We do have some work in the pipelines - rough when we all got day jobs. Even just following us helps!
- The Free Black Women’s Library: Need I say more?
Shout-out to Patreon to making the act of funding your interests a lot easier! If you end up supporting anyone below, let me know by responding to the tweet associated with this post or by just entering some information below in the comment. At the end of the month, I’d like to shout y’all out in my newsletter.